Friday 30 April 2010

grand designs

...well perhaps not grand designs but I'm feeling pretty chuffed after finishing the sample of the last design in my spring/summer collection. It's a floaty, ruffle-top, ribbon-strap pinafore called 'Edie Grace'.

I generally spend a long time mulling ideas over in my mind. 'Edie Grace' was inspired by a pretty dress I saw in a boutique in Paris on a trip just after Christmas with my Mum and sister-in-law.

Then I make a pattern (today I chose bright green card) using my existing designs as basic blocks to get the size right. Ideally every size and style should be in a different colour but the reality is a rainbow mish-mash hanging on a rail in my sewing room). I try and make samples as far as possible in cheaper cottons to avoid using up my precious stock of Liberty prints.

This is Mark One - too blocky with very little movement.


You then have to take the plunge and use the Liberty Tana Lawn because the flow and feel of the fabric transforms a design.

So here's Mark Two in Liberty Nina - but still not enough character.

When the mojo deserts you close the door on the sewing room - a lunch with friends proved the break I needed.

And here's Mark Three - I'm really pleased with this - it floats deliciously.

Look out for my next email newsletter for preview sample offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment