Wednesday 24 February 2010

make-do-and-mend

I was flattered this morning to be asked to talk to the Tideswell Business Start-Up group this morning about how I set up Peak Princess.

I also met Fiona Pocock (01629 813 197 / 07821 297 444) who's just started a new business from her home near Bakewell (home of the delicious pudding) doing alterations and repairs. It's a real skill. Despite most of my friends not being able to sew on a button or turn up a hem, they imagine repairs are easy-peasy. The truth is that starting afresh with a blank canvas of a roll of cloth is child's play compared to the dark-art of restoring a much-loved, often expensive, quality garment to its former glory.

Another dark-art is 'search engine optimisation' - aka getting ranked on page 1 of Google. For down-to-earth advice, I'd thoroughly recommend talking to Kathleen Rigg (07768-961971) from Gain Time IT. I followed her no-nonsense 10 step tips and Peak Princess shot up the rankings!

And last-but-not-least, for making you believe you can actually make a go of it, everyone should make their first call their local Business Link. Thanks to Sue Scholes who held my hand through the first year of business.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks to Lissa for the recommendation.

    It was great to hear about how she started up her successful business and to see and touch her beautifully made clothes. The quality of the garments really lives up to her USP "With Love Sewn In". I will definitely be ordering one of her dreses for my niece....

    The whole group at the event found useful tips for improving their businesses from Lissa's experiences!

    ReplyDelete