Thursday 28 May 2009

fents and gate-legs

It's been a busy day. This afternoon I've been cutting out mini 'Mia Rose' dresses for the We Make London fair in Chelsea in December.

Why so early? Well they are for the press packs which have to start going out in June. The organisers have a lovely idea of giving journalists each a tote bag filled with some of the handmade goodies that will be on offer.

Why 'mini'? Normally my shift dresses only come in girls' sizes from two to six but I'm doing these as baby dresses in size 6-12 months. They do look super cute.

I'm using Liberty 'Wiltshire' as I'm going to continue using this through autumn/winter and will add velvet ribbon trim to the hem line for a more Christmassy feel.

Which brings me to cutting. I cut out fabric on a gate-legged table which folds up neatly against the wall when people come to stay. It's one of my Mum's junk-shop bargains and I love it. It only cost £10 and I was about to get rid of it because our house is chock-a-block with furniture already but it's got a new lease of life now. It's covered in walnut veneer and it's width exactly matches the width of Liberty fabric. (137cm in case you're wondering).

This is a photo of me placing and marking out a new blouse pattern with my trusty yard-stick. I use two little photo frames that are really heavy but a handy size for weights to stop the fabric slipping off the table and to make sure I get a nice neat line of tailor's chalk.

I also finally popped over to Macclesfield to The Fent Shop which is a treasure trove of fabric and haberdashery goods. I heard about it a few months ago when I was interviewing a lady in Whaley Bridge for my High Peak Radio 'Born and Bred' series. (More about my radio producer alter ego in another post on another day).

And this morning I recut my boys' dungarees pattern adding a lower waist and taking out the gathers. Definitely more boyish. Nearly there...

No comments:

Post a Comment