Friday 29 May 2009

overlocking...

...or serging as the Americans call it is something I was very dubious about. I was a fan of the flat seam but Mum persuaded me otherwise and before Christmas she went and bought me a new overlocker machine from the Balham/Tooting sewing emporium that is Wimsew. If you've never been, you really should go.

The overlocker whizzes along much faster than a normal sewing machine and has four big reels of cotton and the most ferocious looking cutting blade.
Plus, when you open the front cover it contains the scariest looking set of complicated hooks and threading holes that you can imagine. (Hence my idiot instructions stuck to the front!) But once you've got the hang of it, it's lots of fun.
Except that when you take the eye off the ball and cut into what you're creating by accident as I did last week and your lovely pair of gingham 'Izzy Whizzy' culottes is shredded and you have to turn them into a sample baby 'Tilly Toadstool' dress.

I've spent hours on the overlocker today hemming and seaming the mini 'Mia Roses' for the Chelsea Christmas fair PR packs (see yesterday's post) and then I got an order for a 'Bella Luella' puff sleeve baby dress and knickers.

It's been hot in the sewing room but lovely to have the window wide open. Better dash as my knickers need elastic and hanging ribbons and it's almost time for Chinley Community Cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment