Monday 1 June 2009

great aunt thomasina's bull-nosed rocking chair

This is one of my proudest possessions. Truth be told it belongs to my sister, Emma, but I'm rather hoping she never leaves her flat in London and gets a place big enough for it. It's a family heirloom of sorts and though I never met my father's Aunt Thomasina I imagine a generously proportioned lady rocking gently back and forth whilst knitting or darning socks.

The careworn teddy bear was my grandmother's. Nan Passchier as we all called her. She had Dame Edna style glasses and used to be a milliner. Teddy is more than 100 years old and sits on my shelf overlooking my machining table.

Behind that it my rack of Liberty sample fabrics (apologies for the Capel print not being hung flat but I'd just had it out).

Hidden just above the rocker are my bolts of fabrics rolled on long tubes which I store under the eaves. (From left to right are Liberty Wiltshire, Ros, Millie and Tatum). There are more details on each of the prints which make up my spring/summer collection on my website.

A friend came round the other day and peeped his head into my sewing room and said he thought it looked like something out of a fairy-tale. So from now on I'm calling it 'Peak Princess Palace'.

PS check out the link to Emily Pickle's blog...another High Peak handmaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment